RWANDA: dairy education center, designed by Tola Thomas
Tola Thomas is a Cal Poly Architecture student from Antioch, California. Tola sees JI as an opportunity to take the next leap in becoming the person he wants to be. He knows it is a huge challenge, and is excited for the opportunity to do humanitarian design.
The Artisanal Cheesemaking Centre of Excellence (‘ACCE’) is a non profit dedicated to the advancement of safe dairy education in Rwanda. ACCE was launched in response to dairy and food-processing sectors defined by poor quality products and processes.
By building a dairy, ACCE will:
- serve cheesemakers by offering hands-on trainings and short-courses in proper cheese production techniques
- serve cheese consumers through the production of cheese varieties not available from domestic producers, lowering prices, offsetting imports and increasing demand for cheese improved dairying practices and functioning as a model processor and center for training and knowledge
- serve the poor through job and opportunity creation, milk purchasing, encouraging rural cheesemaking
- Humanitarian Partner: Artisanal Cheesemaking Center of Excellence Rwanda
- Sponsor(s): RRM Design
- Location: Rwanda
- Designer(s): Tola Thomas (architecture student)
- University: Cal Poly
- Professor: Jonathan Foote and Umut Toker
- Status: Design Pending